Vivek Chaand Sehgal
Samvardhana Motherson Group
Vivek Chaand Sehgal, is co-founder and Chairman of Samvardhana Motherson Group (SMG). He was born in 1956 and started Motherson along with his mother Ms Swaran Lata Sehgal in 1975. In 1977 he started manufacturing cables. In 1983 he formed a collaboration with Sumitomo Wiring Systems, Japan for manufacturing wiring harnesses and in 1986 formed a JV Motherson Sumi Systems Limited (MSSL), the flagship company of the Group which has been listed in India since 1993. MSSL has featured in Forbes Asia Fabulous 50 companies for the past 4 years consecutively.
With a vision to make SMG a globally preferred solutions provider he has transformed the Group into a diversified automotive supplier with a wide product range supplying to all the leading global car manufacturers across the world. Presently the Group has a turnover of US$ 7.2 billion (FY 2015-16), presence in 25 countries with over 200 facilities, supported by over 81,000 employees. SMG is the 31st largest auto component supplier in the world.* (Source: Automotive News Magazine)
To facilitate the Group’s growth he focuses on global expansion, joint ventures and acquisitions. He has 24 partners across the globe including 10 from Japan. He has done 16 successful acquisitions so far.
- - Man of the Year 2010 by Autocar Professional Magazine, India
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award for Manufacturing in 2012, India
- Best CEO, 2013 for Auto Ancillaries by Business Today Magazine, India
- CEO of the Year 2015 by Business Standard, India
- Best CEO in 2016 All Asia Executive Team Rankings for autos and auto parts sector by Institutional Investor Magazine